Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Isn't this nice???

Look at this quilt...and then read about it below the picture......
About 3 -4 months back, AQS asked on their Facebook page for their FB friends to tell about a special quilt that was given to them. Many told about quilts made for them by relatives (as wedding gifts, housewarming gifts, etc.) I mentioned that up to that time, I'd never received a quilt as a gift. Within 10 minutes, I got a message from Renee (in Louisiana....I don't think she has a blog) and she said she'd like to make me a quilt and give it to me. THIS is the quilt I got from her in the mail late last week. I am so touched that she would do that for a complete stranger. It is very snuggly, too, as it has fleece on the back...and she even quilted some butterfly shapes into it. If you look closely, you can see one on the back where I folded it so you could see the butterfly fleece backing fabric. I really appreciate this gift from the heart. Thanks, Renee!

Updates on a couple of things: I am still struggling with the Curve Master foot. I do well until about the last half-inch. I am using the special tweezers I got with the foot that are to be used at the end, but I am all thumbs with them! I am hoping I can improve or else this foot might be up for grabs for a cheap price for anyone who wants it! LOL I am hoping my friend, Sherry, who bought the same foot at the show, might learn how to master it..and then she can help me. If not, I'll just go back to pinning my drunkard's path blocks when I sew them. Since they are cut on the GO cutter, they go together easily..but I was just hoping to avoid using pins (as everyone else seems to be able to do with the Curve Master foot).

A couple of weeks back I wrote about a packaging error on Kraft cheese cubes in 100-calorie packages. I did contact Kraft and have been advised that they are sending me a check for the cost of the bag of cheese....so that is nice of them. They sent an email explaining how this might have happened. I told all of you I'd let you know their response......and this is certainly a fair response on their behalf.

Soon I'll tell you about the fabric I got for the brown bag project that many of us bloggers are doing. I have big plans for my fabric, and I have already started working with it....even though our deadline isn't until sometime in March!

29 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

What a wonderful gift from a stranger. Aren't blogging quilters wonderful?

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow nice quilt!! Your so lucky!! Cool on the cheese!! Can't wait to see the brown bag swap!!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous gift!! How nice it was of her to do that for you too! Very cool of Kraft and I am looking forward to seeing your brown bag fabric for sure!!

Gene Black said...

That quilt is lovely. While I prefer lots of color, I do love black and white with a red POP.

I hope you "find your groove" with the Curve Master. I don't generally pin. When I get my Drunkard's Path die (the small one) I am planning to just hold the pieces and GO, and see how I do.

Unknown said...

I love that quilt. I got my brown bag fabric as well.

Anonymous said...

What a great(!) quilt, and the story of how you got it is heartwarming.

Lisa said...

wow! how wonderful to get that for a gift! I love it!

Debi said...

What a beautiful quilt, I so love red/white/black quilts..especially the backing! I have not received my brown bag fabric yet, although I sent my partner hers over a week ago.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet of the woman to send you some love. Stuff like this is why I love quilters!

That just warms my heart!

Needled Mom said...

That is a beautiful gift. How thoughtful!

Check out this video for sewing those curves and let me know if it helps. http://www.backporchdesign.com/video_tutorials.htm

Glad that you heard back from Kraft.

The Other Barb said...

What a strikingly pretty quilt. And from a stranger, who will become a friend I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Stunning gift...quilters are wonderful aren't they?
I've got the curve master foot ordered...now you make me wonder!! The videos make it look so easy.

Winona said...

Oh lucky you. That is a lovely quilt and with fleece on the back would be so lovely to curl up in. How nice of Renee! Quilters are certainly kind hearted people. Enjoy your new quilt. Hope you soon master the Curve Master foot. Enjoy your day. Winona

andsewon said...

What an awesome gift you have received Pat! How lovely for her to do that for you!
Oh dear reckon I will have to pull out the foot and give it a go.
I watched the fella using it and seemed so easy. I think Elaine bought one too.
Will ask her.
Good luck with your brown bag projects.

Crispy said...

What a wonderful thing for Renee to do!! I love the looks of a black/white/red quilt :0)

Crispy

Zlaty said...

Wow what a generous gift from Renee! She did fabulous job on the quilt! Enjoy snuggling with it!

Gari in AL said...

I never could master the curve master foot but I did master sewing curves with only two pins. I did a flannel drunkard's path and then more recently lots of little DPs for another quilt (not yet finished). So, I feel your pain. :(

quiltingnana said...

what a wonderful gift...and so generous of Kraft...what were their excuses...as for the curve foot, I'll be interested in your progress

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a gorgeous quilt!!! What a generous gift and to a very generous person. Perfect!

Tennye said...

What a lovely gift to receive, I have made quilts for so many people in my life and no one has ever made one just for me. Yes, I have quilts that were given to me, but they were inherited from my mom, not made for me.

Dawn said...

How sweet was that, to not just send you a quilt, but make one just for you! Her gesture made me smile this evening too :)

Rachel said...

Oh wow! What a generous gift. It's just gorgeous, you lucky girl!

Myra said...

Oh my Pat! What a generous lady to have made you a quilt! Lucky you!
It is a wonderful quilt! Love the pattern! 8-)

I am so intrigued about this brown bag project! I was telling my gals last night about it, and how we should do one as a group project... We shall see?

Jackie's Stitches said...

Renee certainly sounds like a special lady! It's a beautiful quilt too.

Pokey said...

I'm happy for you, it is a great quilt and well deserved, Pat! Blessings to your benefactor....
:-}pokey

Val said...

A gift of a quilt is a gift from the heart. Being from a stranger makes that so special. That is truly a gift. Thanks for sharing. One day I want a Go cutter

John'aLee said...

What a beautiful gift! Because we quilt...we sure do know how to appreciate it when one is given to us!

Stephanie Hughes said...

Pat, you're so fortunate to have many friends out there! This is a wonderful gesture and something you will always remember and cherish always! WOW!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Beautiful quilt, I think quilters have some of the biggest hearts.