It seems to me that I'm seeing fewer and fewer "traditional" quilts at shows and more and more art-type quilts, many of which...of course....are beautiful. I took several photos and will post them here (all won't have comments before them)....some I liked a lot...some I liked a little bit...and some were not my cup of tea (not sure if I'll post that last category here, though). So...here goes....I believe you should be able to click on all of them to enlarge the photos...and should even be able to click twice to see them
really close-up....

This quilt maker said she took photos of both her husband and her son at age 5 and used them for her quilt...to show how much alike father and son look.


This next one had the flowers all done 3-dimensional......and it had some small birds and even some tiny bees worked into the top.

The quilting on this next one was pretty remarkable (at least to me)....be sure to click twice on the photo to really look at the quilting work on this piece.


I'd have gladly taken this one home with me if someone had offered it.....LOL

Close-up of a quilt made with drunkard's path blocks with the addition of some simple squares. (Of interest to me since I got the new, smaller drunkard's path die for my GO...now if I can only get the hang of doing this design using the CurveMaster foot I bought at the show.....*sigh*...I am having troubles with that darned foot so far!)

Not going to try THIS one.......I'd get a headache trying to follow this pattern, I think! It was really eye-catching, though.
35 comments:
Did you buy the tweezers that are used with the curve master..or for eating cheetos..It does make a difference.
Pat
I like the traditional quilts best - even those using modern fabrics. The art quilts just aren't my thing.
Some of these quilts, I believe, have been featured in a magazine. Can't remember which, but nonetheless, they are gorgeous. And yes, definitely a headache on the last one for sure.
Wow pretty quilts! I agree on the art quilts taking over the traditional!
Pat, Thanks for sharing these. The Father and Son (both age 5) is a great idea and a neat quilt.
The one you mentioned the quilting on is something else. I don't like the colors of the borders together, but the quilting is amazing.
Pat, thank you, those quilts are inspiring.
Beautiful quilts, but I'm with you. I really like to make (or only have the skill to make) traditional blocks.
There are some lovely quilts. It seems that the quilters go between art type quilts for a while then head back to more traditional. It seems applique is really huge right now.
Crispy
These are gorgeous. I want to learn how to do an art quilt but my favorite are the traditional ones. Thanks for taking the time and sharing these pics.
Quilting has surely become and art form. These are pretty amazing. I do still love traditional quilts though.
Wow, these are striking. I think a lot of people are branching out or stepping out of the box and trying the art type quilts. I haven't seen a "Lone Star" quilt in years at a quilt show.
Maybe after awhile, traditional quilt will rise again.
TAKE CARE.
Oh MY! Pat, this must have been quite the show! I'm in awe! Thanks for the photos.
Awesome quilts! Looks like it was a great show. I bought the foot at last Mid A but yet to try it!!!
Good luck with it!
Sometimes the work in quilts is just so unbelieveable. I love the little birdies, they are just precious and all the rest are out of my league. Love them all.
Maggey
Oh my gosh!!! Those are all gorgeous!
those are so amazing quilts, i didn't see many like that at my shows......
I double clicked on the pink/black/blue quilt with the medallion in the middle. You are correct, the quilting is amazing! WOW! I only hope to be able to even think about doing something like that!
I didn't get a chance to go. Thank you for showing some of the quilts! it is always inspiring what people come up with!
You're right Pat. There does seem to be less traditional quilts at quilts shows these days. Even though I appreciate the workmanship and creativity in the contemporary quilts, I truly love the traditional quilts best.
Those photos are amazing, thanks for showing them.
What wonderful quilt photos you've shared with us Pat! Love the look of the drunkard's path block!!!
Thanks! 8-)
These are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with us Pat.
That Father/Son quilt is amazing. I also really liked the one with the fine quilting. The last one reminded me of a kaleidscope.
I use my curvemaster foot on the Winding Ways quilt it works really well Pat.
Those are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I love the pandas and the father/son look alike.
I not only can't think up those quilt designs but I don't know how they think up the quilting designs. I ponder and ponder just to come up with simple stuff on both counts. And yet I keep making quilts: go figure.
My favorites are the floral numbers 3 and 4. They are all pretty tho!
I really like their shows because they have such spectacular quilts. I always liked it when they came around our area. Thank you for sharing Pat.
Happy Quilting!
http://quiltingcanbefun.blogspot.com
Yes, I forgot to add that theirs is one of the biggest shows also with people who put their quilts in from all over the world, and are selected. You really have to have your skills polished to put a quilt in theier shows.
Happy Quilting!
Thanks for sharing the wonderful quilt photos. It is so interesting to see the range of styles.
Beautiful quilts! The last one...well, I don't even know what to say. It's amazingly detailed. Maybe not my style but I can still appreciated the hours of work put into it.
WOW -- that last one seems to pulse when one looks at it!
wow!!! They are stunning.
Oh WOW!! Those quilts are always so inspiring! Makes me want to go to the Houston Quilt Show!
the first one is my very, very favorite.....I just love the colors!
Post a Comment