Saturday, April 10, 2010

A mixed bag today.....


Today I have 3 different things to discuss here.......first is these 4 fat quarters. Those of you who have read my blog for awhile might recall that I sought your input on a guild "brown bag" project. I had to put 4 fat quarters in a bag and send them off and I'd not know who got them....and who would be making something for ME with those 4 fat quarters. Well....this photo shows the 4 fat quarters I got that belong to someone else and for whom I have to make something (by the July meeting). I am permitted to add fabrics...but must use at least a bit of each of these 4 fabrics. If I make a miniature quilt, it has to be more than 12 inches on each side. I am going to ask for ideas for this......I was thinking of a log cabin mini....or maybe even making a toss pillow cover and even supplying the pillow to put inside it. Of course, I could do always do a table runner...maybe with some star-type blocks in it since the fabric leans toward the "patriotic" in looks but I also need to be mindful that one of the fabrics is a directional print. If any of you look at this fabric and have any super ideas, please let me know. (I am not so good on making purses.......so I'd probably not attempt that.) I think if you click on the photo, you could see the fabrics in greater detail. I doubt the gal who supplied this fabric reads my blog, so we can safely discuss this here.

Second is a book I borrowed from the library that looks like it will be quite good. Have any of you read this book or used it? It is called Machine Quilting: A Primer of Techniques and was written by Sue Nickels. I really need to learn to do some good, basic quilting on my regular machine so I can make my wall-hangings and runners more interesting. I also own Foolproof Machine Quilting by Mary Mashuta and that looks to be good, too....although I've not really put it to the test yet.

And last is a photo I wanted to show you of the tulip blocks I showed here a few weeks back. I was considering a few lay-outs and many of you liked this one best and I am glad you convinced me to do it this way. I did put a border on it and will probably call it quits and use it as a small table topper...I had considered one more border with some cornerstones but think that might be too much. What do you think? (I love to get a nice variety of ideas and opinions from my blogging buddies!)

I hope all of you have a nice weekend. Our weather is to be more like spring this weekend than summer...which is fine since it IS only spring now, after all, and those low 90's we had earlier this week were too hot too quickly!

28 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

The tulip block is so pretty just as it is. I think you're right not to add another border. As for your exchange project, I think I would use a star for exactly the reason you stated. I tend to stay away from wallhangings so I would most likely do a table runner. I'll be anxious to see what you decide.

ooglebloops said...

I can't recall which design I liked on the tulip block- but it turned out just right!! Love it!!!

With the r,w,& b, I like your idea of a patriotic table runner.

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow your tulips look great!
hummm on the 4 FQ's?? disappearing 9 patch for a table topper? I don't like the heart fabric, LOL with the others!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I like your tulip block just he way it is. I'm looking forward to see what you do with the fabrics.

Unknown said...

For the 4 fat quarters, I might do something like a table topper or "picnic" size quilt. Fourth of July screams picnics and these are quite patriotic fabrics. Maybe a combo of stars and log cabin blocks might be nice. I hope this helps. Love what you did with the tulip block.

Karen said...

The fabrics make me think of a purse or tote for summer.

Kaye said...

If I can find the pattern I will make the fractured diamond table runner with mine

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love the tulip topper Pat! It's perfect for spring.

Crispy said...

I think any thing with a star would be great for these fabrics, kinda patriotic as you said.

Love the tulip topper, I think it's just fine the way it is.

Crispy

Gene Black said...

Suggestion for the directional fabric: Make a quarter square triangle block that is all from the heart fabric. Have all the points on the hearts pointing to either the center or the outside. That way you had solved the directional problem in whatever you make from it. You could make three (or more) of them and use them in a table topper. Or you could make however many and use in a small quilt.

Now, about adding "extra" to your quilting. You know you can use the decorative stitches in rows to add ummph to a table runner..or even a full size quilt! Be bold! Hey, if you have a "heart" stitch on your machine, you could use it in conjunction with this fabric.

Anonymous said...

Your needs for your "brown bag" project remind me to suggest the little Attic Window mini-quilt I posted recently on my blog. It's only 14" square and so easy to do, any fabrics can be showcased by this one.
Love the tulips!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gosh Pat...I'm guessing she really likes patriotic and I would go with a runner and stars. This way it is seasonal and she can tuck it away easily. I may have some older patriotic patterns...let me know what you are looking for or decide I should say.

Jocelyn said...

Yes, yes, yes Pat I have Sue's book! And it is great. I checked it out of our library several times, but eventually just bought it on Amazon. My BFF took a class from Sue and Sue said that if you use her book it is just like taking her machine quilting class. So I did what she says to do. Made my sample blocks and followed her instructions. She really goes over it step by step. And of course if I would practice I might get better ;-) It has been a very worthwhile book. I also use Mary Mashuta's book and like it as well, but the difference is, Mary's book you use your walking foot. Sue's book you will use a free motion (or darning) foot. Hope you enjoy it!

Nancy said...

well, nothing like a bit of a pop quiz on a Saturday morning....lol

If I had those fq's I would make two market bags. They are easy and I could teach you how to do it fast. July is the perfect time to have some new totes for the farmers market. If not, then I would go for the tablerunner...with stars and bars like someone else said.

I like your little tulips like they are. They don't really need another border.. so quilt and be done...

I took Sue Nichols machine quilting class about 5 years ago. It was WONDERFUL.. By the time I left I was doing freehand feathers...and they LOOKED like feathers... Follow the book..

I also like Diane Gaudynski. One of her books is small and has one quilt pattern per page. I can give you more info if you want. Not going upstairs right now...

Yvette said...

What a great & fun idea your guild had. I would be stressing out and not know what to do either! I think I say a cute pattern for a table topper in APQ Magazine this month. I think a nice star table runner would be great.

Unknown said...

Tulips ... Holland ... spring! Your block is lovely. Oh, how I wish you could see the fields & fields of tulips in the spring in Holland ... nearly more than the mind & eye can take in ... breathtakingly beautiful.

Have a lovely weekend.
TTFN ~Hugs, Marydon

Barb said...

Wow...you have alot going on there. That book looks wonderful....I never thought of going to the library but in Amerika Samoa, don't know if they would have quilting books...maybe I ought to try it?

Beautiful weather here in Texas

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Morning, Pat! Pretty tulip block and it will make a great little table topper. I haven't read that book but I might have to look for it at our library. The mixed bag fabrics are a challenge but I see a possibility. You mentioned Log Cabin, so how about fussy-cutting one little heart each (or four depending on size) for the very center square of your log cabin blocks. Since you can add fabrics you can come up with more fabrics to add to it. Or, you could use the Moose quilts block that has four patch blocks in it and fussy cut hearts for the centers and make the block into a pillow. Whatever you choose, I know it will be great. :-)

andsewon said...

Pat I would make a 'flag' runner or hanger. Use the heart fabric(center sq) and blue star fabric as a stars, maybe add some cream then add the stripes with the red and the other print.
Love your tulip sq.cute candle mat!
Lola

Rhonda said...

Well, for the red/white/blue fabrics, I'm thinking of a mini bargello flag...it really isn't hard to make.
Love the tulip block...I'd call it quits...love the way it look now!!!

Sara said...

Let's start with the tulip block - I really like it the way it is! Back it, quilt it, and bind it - and call it an adorable table topper.

Sometimes I think I would love it if someone made a cute pillow for me - it's not something I would make for myself...

julieQ said...

I love the idea of a mini log cabin. The next idea would be a flag block, since it is July when it is due. Your tulip quilt looks finished to me...beautiful as it is.

Unknown said...

I love the tulip block Pat....I like it just the way it is.......so sunshiney!
As far as what to make, I would either do a tablerunner or pillow since I think it is kind of holiday looking and either would be so cute...cant wait to see what you make!

Beth said...

Love your tulips. I would leave it as you have it.
For your red/white/blue I liked your idea for a mini log cabin and the little hearts could be the center square.
Can't wait to see what you do.

Unknown said...

I can't think clearly right now, but I will remember this (maybe) and try to think of something. Love the flower block...also very impressed at your followers, it just keeps growing

Love Of Quilts said...

If it was for me you were making something...I would like a nine patch lap quilt....with white fabric added to each of these fabrics to make a 12 inch block...then another fabric to set them together....if that is asking to much..then I would like a apron.LOL thats what I would want.Trish

jan said...

I like the Log Cabin idea, basicall ycos it is my favourite of all blocks. You could use the directional fabric as the centre of it, then it wouldn't matter which way it went. Have fun, that is the main thing to do in this type of swap. Look forward to seeing what you make with it. What great idea, a Brown Bag swap. Not heard that one before.
Jan in UK

Maggey and Jim said...

Love the fabrics.. You could do a flag and I like the pillow idea with the log cabin design..That book is by an author that was on the quilting show..She is really good.Let me know if you like the book
Maggey