I think I actually prefer this block turned the other way (no picture of that, though)....and will probably turn it the other way when I am putting the top together.
Here are the 5 blocks so far.....all from the same Moda jelly roll.....Fig & Plum, I believe, is the name of the fabric line.
I have been spending a lot of time doing a LOT of hand-quilting on the wall-hanging I am making for the lady in my quilt guild as part of our "brown bag" challenge...using the 4 fabrics she provided (and I believe I showed them on my blog not too long ago). I hope to get that done enough to put the binding on it and show it to you by the end of the weekend.
28 comments:
I agree, and also wonder if we will be able to make all the blocks from the 1 jelly roll. I'll take pictures of mine later today. Patty and Larry left at 4:15 am this morning. I see a couple of naps later today, what do you think?
Interesting block, I'm with Kaye, are you going to get all of the blocks out of one Jelly Roll? Guess we will see. I'm not "lovin'" this either. I visit several blogs who are showing their blocks, and so far I'm not regreting that I'm not doing this...have a great day.
I'm with you. Individually, I like all the blocks, but together, I'm not so sure.
I too have liked all the blocks individually (as I see them on different blogs - I didn't have time for this project) and seeing these five blocks together it doesn't look so good. Yet. I really think once you have them all done, plus the sashing it'll come around and you'll really like it. You just need to see more of the fabric spread around. The fact that they seem to have kept the scale of the pieces in the blocks pretty similiar should help. Wonder if that was intentional or a coinky-dink.
Maybe it's this jelly roll that isn't working for you. I don't remember if you are all using the same one...but some lines of fabric just don't have enough contrast. Like you say, maybe the sashing will make it all better for you.
Crispy
I like your blocks so far. Each one is pretty on it's own. As Crispy said could just be this fabric line with not enough mix. Not written in stone that you Have to put them all in one quilt...;-) Can do your own thing!
Look forward to seeing your brown bag project!!
Hugs,
Lola
Is Gene playing along too - one of those blocks looks familiar?? I like what you've done so far!!!!
I can see on closer (enlarged) inspection that these fabrics are indeed coordinated, but it doesn't jump out on first look. I agree with you that the border and sashings will be able to pull it all together, and I predict you will like it more then! They are very pretty fabrics and blocks. :)
I really like your block 5, the contrast really shows off the design. That's why I put all of mine on the wall, to see if I could see a quilt yet: not yet. How many blocks are we making, I forget.
I like the blocks very much! I think once you have them all made and out, you'll be able to arrange them in a pleasing way! Don't get discouraged ;-)
I printed out the jelly roll blocks & was going to do them but decided against it...for now anyway. yours are looking nice though.
Maybe once you lay them out with the sashing you will change your mind. The blocks themselves are beautiful.
wow...coming along nicely
You're ahead of me. I was going to get to mine yesterday, but worked on my pinwheel one instead. Maybe today!!
I have to agree with you. Although I am not a fan of this block...I have not made mine yet. My blocks also don't seem to be coming together either when I layed them out. I am also hoping this will pull together.
Well maybe this is going to be your least favourite block of the bunch. I'm liking how they look together so far. I wish I had time right now to start this quilt along!
Oh I love yours! I'm getting caught up with everyone. Hopefully it won't take long.
My favorite blocks are the middle and two bottoms ones, and I love the burgundy and figgy colors mixed with cream. I look forward to seeing the finished top.
I really liked the first block and the second one but had a hard time with the stairstep one. It doesn't seem to fit as a single block. So I decided I will make four of them and the will be corner blocks. I may make duplicates of a couple that I really like so that it's all symetrical. I have plenty of fabric to play with as I cut strips from my stash. :-) All my blocks are cut so far but not one is sewn together yet. I'll get them done yet!
Pat, your jelly roll blocks are really shaping up.
I kinda' feel the same way about my blocks Pat. They seem disjointed. Let's home they start working together, huh?
love your blocks, they look great.....
Hi Pat..I'm with you. Individually, I like all the blocks, but together, I'm not so sure. I guess it depends on what sashing you use to pull them all together..
Julia ♥
I love that block that you just made. It is so unique. I want to tell you thank you for all of your very kind words and encouragement to me. I can never thank you enough.
Pat, I looked at all of your blocks and also close up, and I think there is good contrast in all of your blocks, and that they all look very nice exactly the way you have them arranged. The one you were going to turn around, I think looks nice the way you have it.
You mentioned lattice between the blocks. Sometimes I put 1/2" of black around my squares to set them off and let them stand alone, then add the lattice strips (your fabric choice) that would also set all of those blocks off again. Either way, I think that quilt will be very nice when you get it finished, and I do love the fabrics. Really nice, Pat.
Happy Quilting!
http://quiltingcanbefun.blogspot.com
The blocks are all pretty, but I see what you mean. They don't quite look like they go together... yet. I'm sure when they're all finished and you have sashing and borders, the quilt will be beautiful.
I will have to see it done up to decide....so far they dont look very cohesive......mmmmmmm
I shared similar sentiments over on my blog... glad I am not the only one with some doubts on how this will all look...
SheilaC
Post a Comment