Friday, April 16, 2010

Got scraps? Make a house.....


I found out the other day that "V" of the BUMBLE BEANS blog is collecting house blocks to make a quilt that will be auctioned off to benefit a program for homeless people in her area...trying to get them back into their houses. If you click on her blog name (above), you will see her post and she has a block there if you wish to make one and send it to her. This is the block I made that will be going in the mail to her today. I varied it ever so slightly from hers, but that is fine by her...as long as the block is 10 1/2 inches when it is sent to her and as long as there are no "wonky" houses.



The next picture is of my block #4 in the Jelly Roll Quilt-Along. I know many of you are doing that project, too. I have decided that I am probably not putting my blocks together in the same order in which I am making them.......will wait and see which ones look best next to each other before I decide on my layout (even though Konda shows them all going in sewing order on her first blog post about the quilt-along). I'm happy with how this one turned out.....but it is much darker, overall, than the other 3 blocks. I think since my jelly roll has many more lights and mediums than darks, I will have to space my blocks with dark fabric around in a way that looks best. It is fun to do this at the rate of just one block every two weeks!

16 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Oh it came out pretty!
Are you getting the chill back in the air??

Anonymous said...

Very nice....Jo club is making houses for next month's meeting.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love the motivation behind the house blocks. It's for such a good cause!

Gene Black said...

Pat, I used the dark for the "center" pieces on my Quilt a long block. Yeah, that is one problem with jelly rolls, the blend of lights, mediums and darks is not always good.

Kaye said...

Love the colors in the #4 Block

Crispy said...

Love both blocks Pat (just about have my house blocks done).

Crispy

Unknown said...

Love both of your blocks! The house blocks are such a wonderful thing to do. I love V's collection! I will be doing a lot of the quilting on those quilts and am looking forward to my contribution.

luv2quilt2 said...

Love both of your blocks. I haven't kept up with the Jelly Roll quilt along - I hadn't picked a background. I should get back to it. The house is so cute.

Jocelyn said...

Great blocks!

Barb said...

Your blocks are great....I need some scraps....hummmmm looks like I need to make some (no problem)....

Rhonda said...

Your Jelly Rolly block 4 looks great....I love those colors and there's that touch of green in the leaves.

sandytravels said...

Hi Pat, Got to your blog by accident, I have a place in Bethany Beach but not ready to retire there, yet!! Also doing the jelly roll quilt along. Sandy

Zlaty said...

I like your title! got scraps - make a house! :) Beautiful blocks!

Happy sewing!

Beth said...

Like your house, I am going to try to get a house made, thanks for the link.
Your jelly roll block looks good. I knhow what you mean about the mix of dark, medium and lights. happy stitching

Anonymous said...

I'm going to look at the house pattern, yours got me interested!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love house blocks. I just love making them. They are fun.