
For any of you who have used fusible batting (or who may know someone who has and you can ask that person for me), I am wondering what method is used if you are making something larger than a small wall-hanging? I know the fusible comes even in king-sized (which I'd not be making anything THAT big), but I'm just wondering how you handle something maybe throw-sized....to get it put together and ironed (fused) without it getting "messed up" in the process? I'm thinking maybe you first sandwich it and then roll it up and only unroll a little bit at a time??? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am considering buying some and want to know, beforehand, how to handle the ironing SMOOTHLY for a larger-than-wall-hanging quilt. I bought some samples at the quilt show of Hobbs' fusible, but no instructions were included.
NOTE: Just got a reply from Hobbs....here is what I was told: Our fusible is designed to have all three layers fused at once. You will want your iron on “cotton” setting and steam seams to help but is not required.
This is a picture of a wall-hanging I love. This year, he is not on the wall...but draped over a little piece of furniture in my living room. (He still needs more hand-quilting, but I use him anyway). He comes out around Easter but stays out longer since his fruits and veggies are suitable for spring and summer, don't you agree? I believe this was a pattern in Quiltmaker magazine a few years back. (If I'd make labels for every quilt, we might know for sure!!! LOL)
23 comments:
Hi Pat, fusible wadding is great to use and I find it easy to apply when I use the following method. I lay the fusible down on a table (s) fusible side up that can handle a little bit of heat (I use trestles that I always use for laying out my quilts), I then tape it down making sure not to stretch it. Then I centre my quilt top, right side up over the top of the wadding. Firstly I make sure it is well ironed, then I tape it down just a little bit firmer than the wadding. Then (sorry it's going on), I get my iron and starting at the centre, stroke the iron towards the outside of the quilt top in even light strokes. This I keep up until it is firmly 'tacked' down. Next I go over it again with the iron using a slightly longer ironing time to make sure it fuses.
Folding and rolling I have tried but that always ended up with 'bubbles in the movement of the top and resulting 'bubbles' of uneven fusing.
Good luck
Miche'le
Pat, I wish I could help you out here. I have never used fusible batting. So I am not sure how this will lay out when sandwiched. I would love to hear what the result of your will be.
I haven't used it since someone (of my blogging buddies) said "it is horrible"
I have no idea on the batting...but that is the cutest bunny I have seen for a very long time!!
Darling bunny quilt. I used fusible batting once and it didn't turn out well... I'll have to read all the advice you get.
I haven't used it on anything larger than a tote bag. I find the article is too rigid after using the fusible. Maybe I didn't use it right
No advice here, but I LOVE the bunny quilt!!
Crispy
I didn't even know there *was* fusible batting! LOL! But your bunny is simply darling! :)
Love your bunny...
I have never used it before but I have an idea...
put your ironing board next to your table....lay your quilt across the table and ironing board and slowly move your quilt as you iron? Don't know if that is any good but hey....it was an idea.
Sorry, I haven't tried the fusible batting, so no advice from me. I love your bunny wallhanging.
Can't answer your batting question but I LOVE the bunny wall hanging!
I have only used the fusible on small projects, never on anything larger. I am curious as to what your experienced commenters, like By Hoki Quilts have to say.
I love your bunny wallhanging! He looks so familiar. I must have that magazine somewhere.
The bunny is adorable! Perfect for more than one week for sure! I've only tried the fusible poly, and it is not pretty. I peeled it all off, and there is still glue left on the top, which I'm hoping washes out. Maybe Hobbs will be better, since there batting is one of the best I've heard. Let us know how you think it goes... Anything to avoid crawling around on the floor is great by me!
I ADORE that bunny quilt. If we were neighbors, you would have to keep your doors locked!!
I used fusible batting ONCE on a double sized quilt. It was a disaster. It was a baseball quilt for my son's Christmas gift, and the fabric and batting shifted so badly. Well, DH and I were up all night pulling out the stitches. I then went to buy regular batting the next day. When my son opened it, he was delighted, but made a comment it could have been bigger. DH told him if he wanted to live, he'd better be happy with it as is!
I'm sure, however, if you use the method of the manufacturer, you will have better luck. I, myself, will not use it again.
Cute quilt, Pat.
I don't care for the fusible. I had a linen project that I used it on and there was a large "glop" of glue that melted right through my finished project. Grrr. I always use the 505 spray adhesive to apply the batting if I go that route.
I tried the fusible only once, and I say only once. I don't think I would use it again. Never know. I carefully used it to make a small wall hanging. I had to make sure there were no wrinkles anywhere, and it took me a long time just carefully pressing, starting from the center and working out. I think it wrinkles real easy, and I do mean real easy. It's not worth the hassel for me to use it. Maybe only on a small project anymore, but I doubt it. I can do my work more effeciently and better workmanship with regular batting. I don't even really like the way it looked after, compared to using my regular batting. *I Do know a batting I want to try, and that's "Bamboo Batting", or the "Silk" Batting.
Good luck Pat. Just love that little bunny. I have a wall hanging I made using the fruits. I have to get it quilted yet. The top is done, but it has to be quilted yet. Love your blog, my dear. Happy Quilting!
Pat, I sent you an e-mail for a link to another way to fuse batting with the product called MistyFuse. I also blogged about it just a few minutes ago. Great topic!!
I tried fusible batting once. I had a really hard time keeping the fabric from wrinkling. It was a smaller project but I sure didn't save any time. Good luck.
I love your bunny. He(she) is just the cutest!
Oh he's cute - very Spring-y - makes me miss my little garden from last year.
I've used fusible batting for a wall-hanging I did in a quilting class. I think you have the right idea about rolling up the quilt/batting and ironing a bit at a time. You can't really do it on the floor without possibly damaging the flooring with the heat from the iron.
I have only used it for small projects. I use the 505 spray which is amazing. Love the bunny quilt, the cutest ever.. Happy week
Maggey
I tried fusible batting, the first time I loved it, but the second batch didn't hold and the bottom of the quilt was ruined. I wanted to try the Hobbs, but now I like the idea of that Mistyfuse. It looks light, where the fusible batting added some stiffness.
Well I want that Bunny quilt LOL. I prefer to use 505 spray too. I think the fusible is too stiff after it is pressed. That is only my feeling. Would love to know where you got that Bunny pattern.
I am reading all these comments with great interest since I have never tried the fusible batting... seems great in theory!
BUT I had to tell you how much I love your cute bunny!! :)
SheilaC
Post a Comment