Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sunshine and 60's in Savannah....

Gotta LOVE all the "S's" in that title......Sunshine......Sixties.......Savannah. To be truthful, it wasn't totally sunny yesterday (until late in the day) but it was high enough in the 50's to stroll comfortably around town and TODAY it will be sunny and in the 60's......YAY!!! Here are some photos from yesterday......hoping for some more today when we take an "on/off" trolley tour! IF we can get in, we are going to eat at the restaurant owned by Paula Deen and her sons. (If not, there are plenty of great places to eat around here....that's for sure!)

Between Charleston and Savannah, we found a great shop with all different kinds of ciders and southern snacks. We stopped AND shopped! Yummmmmm...(love places like this)!
Me waiting for our room to be ready in the hotel in Savannah....nice hotel. (I really like Comfort Suites!)The pool (hot tub not visible in this photo). We used both of them last night after we had walked around the city a bit. VERY relaxing.....and nice for us to be in a pool in the month of January! LOLThe City Hall building in Savannah....a very impressive building. I believe the dome used to be copper but in the late 80's it was gold-leafed. I'm sure the photo would be nicer with a bright blue sky.Old Cotton Exchange Building in Savannah.....this needed a blue sky, too....sorry!Oh, look!!! Isn't this a nice idea for a quilting design? I took this for my quilting buddy, Gene!I need to get some good photos of the Spanish moss that drapes so many trees around here...and then I need to research online about this moss.......need to find out things like: does it damage the trees to which it attaches itself? Is it always this "blah" color or is it sometimes green? Stay tuned....

NOTE: Edited to add one of the above photos (photo-shopped by Gene!!) that shows blue sky now!! LOL Also....regarding Spanish moss, it always looks gray but does have some tiny, hardly visible flowers at times. It can cause a tree not to do as well as it might normally do as the moss blocks light, although it doesn't kill the trees. It can make them less wind resistant, though, which can be a problem in hurricanes, I read. Okay...here's the photo Gene "fixed" for me! Thanks, Gene....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty quilting design inspiration! I'm so glad you all are taking this trip and having such a good time.

I could go for a pool dip. Would take the chill off this winter weather.

have fun!

Gene Black said...

Pat, the moss is always that same "blah" gray.

Thanks for the ironwork quilting pattern.

ooglebloops said...

WOW! so, when are you moving?????
When I was a child, I visited my great aunt in Florida frequently, and I remember spanish moss on all the trees. I was amazed - and that image always sticks with me.
If you get into Paula's restaurant - you better take lots of pics!!!:>)

Unknown said...

yes, go to Paula's restaurant. YUMMY, love all the pictures.

Unknown said...

my favorite picture is that old country store, i love those......

Rachel said...

What a beautiful place. I'll add it to my "Places to Visit" list :) I hope you get your sunshine and sixties today!

Barb said...

Enjoyed the pictures, glad you are having a fun time! Please bring some sunshine back this way!!

Jocelyn said...

Pat we had an Oak tree in our back yard of our old house that was probably close to 100 years old. It always had moss on it and was none the worse for it. Enjoy your visit to Savannah. Such a fun and lovely place. We could never get into Paula's restaurant. Seems the best thing to do is make reservations.

Mom2fur said...

Could you please ship some of that nice weather up here to Long Island, New York? Pretty please?

That shop looks like fun. Black Bing Cherry Cider? Mmmmm!

Needled Mom said...

It looks and sounds like you are having a fabulous trip. Glad the weather has been warmer for you too.

hetty said...

Great photos. Sounds like you two are having a good time.