Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thinking spring and summer!!!

Most of you know I despise cold weather and snow, so......I have been trying to make something that screams spring and summer. A blogging friend, JACKIE, was kind enough to loan me (via the mail) her Lil Twister ruler and I made a small table topper. They tell you to use a bunch of 5" squares and just sew them together in rows. Well....I'm not crazy about the way it turned out. I think I'd be much happier limiting my colors to maybe 2 or 3 fabrics....and trying to get a more "organized" look for the pinwheels that are the end result instead of this rather crazy look I got this time. Oh, well...it was fun to work with that ruler and I'll finish the topper before the summer and use it. Thanks, Jackie, for loaning me the ruler AND I'm still hoping to return it to you in person soon!!!

29 comments:

ana s. said...

It looks like a wonderful spring garden to me. I am sure a lot of people will love it.

Stephanie Hughes said...

I like this! Yours reminds me of spring too! I just said the same thing about me post today, finally finished my snowball quilt and it is bright as well! Happy New Year! Steph

Kathleen said...

It does look a bit wild... so maybe wildflowers instead of a tended garden. It does shout "SPRING"!

luv2quilt2 said...

It has a wonderful springy look. I'm so ready for spring!

Tangos Treasures said...

Looks pretty!

Crispy said...

I agree, 2 or 3 fabrics would have worked better for more definition but it's still a cute table topper :0)

Crispy

Cheryl said...

I Love it ,I think it is beautiful just the way it is ,colors and all! Looks like spring and happy days ahead !

Debi said...

It says spring to me and I love it...you could always send it to TX if you don't like it! lol

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Is that ever cute!!!

Unknown said...

I think it looks fine. I like it. Love the new picture of your sweeties.

Anonymous said...

Working with the lil twister is fun for sure! I had made a Fall one and gave it away. You've reminded me of my template! Happy New Year

Jocelyn said...

It looks bright and cheery. I'd lend you some of my Florida weather, but it has been down to the 20's, 30's and 40's here :-(

Needled Mom said...

That is one of my planned projects too. I love the pattern and I think yours looks great.

Michelle said...

I like the "scrappy" look...'course I tend towards scrappy quilts anyway! I bought one of those little templates at retreat in November. I think mine is even the smaller one because it uses 3.5" squares.

andsewon said...

Looks wonderfully Springy to me! We need some of that about now too! I have a project started with this tool for Christmas next year.Hope Alice and I can do a couple small and large twister projects soon.
Stay warm.
Lola from frozen SEVA!

quiltingnana said...

It does look springy...it is fun to try out new things

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

It looks like spring......that's all that counts during this winter. LOL! I have the ruler and was shown how to do this a couple summers ago but have never cut into the charm pack that I bought to use for the project. Too many fun things one can do with fabric and just not enough time!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Fabric selection is so important with using this ruler. I didn't entirely like my fabric selections I made either but I do think the next time I'll do better.

Rachel said...

I thinks it's wonderful, Pat. I love the not-so-organized pinwheels. Sometimes it's good to think outside the box ;)

Beth said...

I like how your pinwheels came out. Great colors and it does say spring. Now if the weather would be spring-like I would be sooo happy

Rhonda said...

I'm thinking that looks like spring!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kathleen... wildflowers... Love it. Makes me think of warmer, sunnier times.

Julia said...

Lovely bright and summery..
I'll send you some of our hot weather...in the 40 celcius all next week!

Anonymous said...

I think it's lovely and patchy -- my favorite, and I agree, like a spring garden!

Myra said...

I like it Pat!!! That method is on my "to do" list! 8-)
The 2 little quilts for the McCall's mag are darling Pat! I will watch for that issue for sure! 8-)

Gari in AL said...

I really like that, Pat. Was it hard to do? And what ruler are you using?

Zlaty said...

I like your Spring quilt Pat! Was it hard to cut the squares with that ruler? I remember seeing about it on Jackie's blog.

Happy New Year!

Pokey said...

Your project made me "think spring, and go green." Really cute, I like it all scrappy, I bet it'll grow on you! Or at least the fact that it's a finish will.
:-}pokey

bingo~bonnie said...

Santa brought me both the large and small twisters :) I've not used them yet... got to finish up a Round Robin first... but I've seen many twisters and they are cool.

A friend and I swapped fall minis last year and I don't know the arrangement of the blocks before cutting but in the end they had diagonal rows by fabric color which I thought was just beautiful!!! Take a look at my blog to see - scroll to the bottom

http://bingobonnie.blogspot.com/search/label/mini%20quilt

and PS found you today - b/c I had searched on my blog about how Nora made her valentines when she was 4 with her treasured button collection... and you were the only one that commented that day. TY :)

and hope to be back again soon to catch up on your blog... love from Texas! ~bonnie