Yes...it's really me.....posting something on my poor, neglected blog. It is hard to believe I used to post every day when I began blogging. Now, with Facebook, it seems much easier to keep in touch with folks there, but I am thinking I will attempt a once-a-week post here as a compromise. So......here is my latest news.
Our area of Delaware was very lucky during that vicious storm named Sandy and so was my daughter's area of NJ......just a minor power flicker there but no loss of power or wind and water destruction. I actually left the area the day before it hit and headed to the Amish area of PA with two other gals (Michelle and Kathy) for our annual quilting retreat. The money we'd paid for the house rental was non-refundable at that point, but the owner of the rental house let us get in a day early for a reduced rate for that extra night. There were to be 6 of us, but the other 3 never made it up there. First they couldn't come up on the planned arrival day as the storm was raging by that time and travel was difficult...and then because they had family members who were without power (and some even had to leave their homes and come stay with one of the gals). It was unfortunate that they had to stay home but we understood why. Our hometown in NJ is still without power....but some of our friends from the area have managed to let us know their homes weren't damaged. The devastation in many areas of my home-state of NJ is just heartbreaking. I pray for all who are faced with such ruin in their lives.
So......as for our retreat, one of the gals (Michelle) has done a very good post about it with nice photos and rather than repeat all of what she said, I am going to give you the link to her post and her photos at the end of this post. I will add that I did a good bit of shopping...fabrics and also some Christmas shopping. I also got a lot accomplished in the way of sewing......
I got the "flimsy" assembled for a cottage block swap in which I participated a couple of years back...
I also got fabric for binding two quilts...one that Michelle had finished quilting and returned to me on the retreat (will show photos when finished binding it...she did a beautiful job, as always, with the quilting)...and also the binding for a fall-themed quilt top I gave her to quilt. That one was a "jelly roll race" quilt with a fall-fabric-pieced back. I really like it a lot.
I also finally finished binding a set of quilted placemats. I'd bought the already-quilted, reversible fabric a couple of years ago on a retreat and now have them done......the matching runner has its binding cut and will be finished this week. YAY, ME!!! Here is what they look like....
One of the nights, I had Michelle show me some of the quilt photos she had on her laptop. One thing led to another and she showed me a very easy, quick quilt that is a nice way to feature a "focus" fabric. (She told me the name of the gal who provided the idea and I think her webpage is called Maryquilts.com) I decided I wanted a winter-themed quilt done that way and chose the fabrics while on retreat AND completed the top in a few hours. I am going to work on simple machine quilting of it myself since it's not huge. It will be a wall hanging for the next couple of months although it is large enough to be a throw, also. This shows part of it.........winter birds on snow-covered branches of holly. The brown fabric bands are pinecones. I really love it! (Might show up better if you click on it to enlarge it.)
We do a gift exchange on the retreat and I was lucky enough to get something Michelle made....a handy sewing tote with handles and loads of pockets inside as well as a zippered section on the front. She filled it with candy and other goodies, but here is a photo of it with some sewing things inside it. This will get a lot of use.
Here are some photos of things I bought on the retreat.....I didn't show photos of the Christmas gift items.....just some of the other "doo-dads" and the fabrics, of course. The bear is a Jim Shore bear made by Boyd's bears. It is cute, isn't it? I think I need to give it an Amish name and will give that some thought today. The 4-seasons' bird panel will be cut apart and made into 4 skinny, quilted wall-hangings.
Okay...so click HERE for Michelle's post about the retreat as she did a better job of taking pictures during the week than I did.....but she didn't have one from our wine and cheese night (with a wine from a local winery there...which was very good).......so I'll post that one! OH, yes...and one more photo of Michelle in a rocking chair on the front porch of the house while she waited to take a picture of one of the Amish buggies as it went by (which is posted on her blog).










17 comments:
I'm so glad you posted as I thought of you during the storm and wondered how you were. Little did I know that you were having so much fun.
Happy to see you posting and happy to hear your family is safe. It looks like you had a great time!
It was a fun and memorable week! And I still say you beat me with all the stuff you completed! :) The quilt from Maryquilts.com is called "Quickie Strippie." Great project!
It sounds like it was a wonderful time and it looks like you got a lot accomplished.
So glad to hear that you were spared the worst of the storm.
Hi Pat! It's great to know that you and family are safe with little damage from the storm. I am praying that NY & NJ as well as other damaged areas will recover fairly quickly. Texas sent many electric operators to help with restoring power. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.
Glad to hear from you and that all is well.
I can imagine the giggles and fun y'all had. :-)
Made me smile.
Oh Pat, what a lovely time you had!! And what fun projects you worked on and happy purchases!! And I'm totally jealous that you and Michelle got to be on retreat together! :)
The widespread devastation of Sandy truly is heartbreaking ... so many have been impacted. I'm glad you were safe and sound! :)
I am so glad you were spared any damage. I remember the roof problems you had in the past and think you deserved to catch a break!
The retreat looks like it was a lot of fun, even if you were a small group.
You certainly got a lot done. Go Pat!
Great to see you posting!!! Look like all had fun! So glad all are safe & no damage from the storm!! Yummy fabrics!!
Welcome back to blogland! Glad the storm did so little damage to your area. We were expecting things to be a lot worse than they were too. You sure got a lot of stuff done on your retreat! It all looks terrific!
I understand. I have been on a blogging break since May...way too long but life happens. So glad you are safe!!! So glad to be back in the blogging world!!!
Hi Pat, I think one of those house blocks were mine! LOL, Hugs, Mary
good to hear from you again :)
look at you, sewing away.....love the placemats......
All the images are looking so cool thanks for the sharing.
Military Challenge Coins
Nice sharing dear, thank very much for all effort.
Villas in Tuscany
Pat, I love the houses quilt. Happy holidays
Post a Comment