Sunday, November 7, 2010

Today the stores......tomorrow the fabric!


I know you've been waiting to see what came home in this bag.....some of you recognize this bag. It's an Amish shopping bag and last year, we came to refer to it as my "bottomless" Amish shopping bag.


The shopping bag got a workout this trip, also. The day we arrived in the area, we made a quick stop at one fabric shop. The following day, we went to two very large fabric shops.....both about a 45-minute ride from where we stayed. One was called Hayloft Fabrics and they advertised that they had 7,000 bolts of fabric. There are 2 photos below of that shop. It is an interesting place as it is upstairs from a gift shop and Martin's grocery store and is really a loft.

After that, we went to Burkholder's and they have 20,000 bolts of fabric. It was totally overwhelming in there. (Some photos below show Burkholder's.) We had lunch after that and then didn't do any fabric shopping until the next morning......when we went to three other fabric shops......Bitty Kinna's.......The Old Country Store (photo from yesterday showed us outside that shop) and Zook's. The next day we stayed in and sewed......except for a quick trip to The Fabric Shack. And the morning we left for home, two of us made a return trip to both Zook's and The Old Country Store. My next post will show the fabric that was stuffed into the bottomless Amish shopping bag. For now, here are a few photos of two of the shops mentioned above.

Kathy browsing in Hayloft Fabrics......nice selection....friendly staff....and gave a "group" discount!Another photo taken in Hayloft Fabrics.......grocery store can be seen on the floor below. On the far side of the photo, you can see more of the fabric loft.See this peaceful place? Well.........behind where I was standing to take this picture.........is this brown building (with a house and some cows behind it)......and inside the brown building.........is Burkholder's Fabric Shop. Yes....20,000 bolts of fabric. Three full rooms filled with ceiling to floor racks (like the photo below) of fabric....a real feast for the eyes of any quilter! Can you see why it was overwheming? Can you see why the bottomless Amish shopping bag got another work-out this year? They even had a floor to ceiling rack of VERY nice fat quarters that were only $1 each.....and were very recent, good-quality fabrics. This shop also gave a guild discount. What a place!!! Quilters who live near to that area are lucky indeed!

25 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

WOW!!! What great stores!! Hope y'all didn't get to overwhelmed!!

antique quilter said...

oh I was out there last Tuesday!
the weather was beautiful , had fun shopping and went to the quilt museum in Lancaster.
Kathie

hetty said...

I remember those shops from the last time our guild organized a bus trip to Lancaster County. Fantastic selection, but a bit overwhelming! Can't wait to see what you bought.

Gene Black said...

Oh my, my credit card would have really had a workout on that trip. I need to go to Burkholder's!

Unknown said...

Those shops are wonderful aren't they? They are right in my mother in law's backyard, so to speak. Love visiting them when we are visiting her. A quilter's paradise for sure!

Kaye said...

Burkholders sure would have overwelmed me! I can't imagine that much fabric in one place. You went to some shops that we didn't see last year.

Jocelyn said...

WOW why can't we have shops like that in our area???

Anonymous said...

::drool::
::thud::

Yep, that's me fainting over all that fabric. Me thinks the bottomless shopping bag will yield a HUGE bounty! I can't wait to see what you purchased.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Fun, fun, fun Pat! Looks like that would have been a dangerous trip for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy shops! The one reminds me of MJ's.

Crispy said...

WOW I don't know how you kept from having fabric overload!! I would have thought I died and went to heaven if I ever got the opportunity to go to a shop that big!!

Crispy

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Dear Heavens, I would love to vist the shops and I would spend a ton!

Barb said...

Oh my goodness...what fun. My niece says we have to go there when I move...she is soooooo right!

Unknown said...

wowsers......all that fabric, i'll take one of every kind

Needled Mom said...

I want to go shopping there!!! It looks like fun.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Okay, I need a visit to the Brown Building!! I can't imagane 20,000 bolts of fabric!! I would like to go just so I could that many bolts!

Denise :) said...

Hmmm. Perhaps it's just as well I haven't been to Amish country lately. LOL! My RV storage space can't handle that trip! :)

Betsy said...

Pat , it looks like a great shopping experience. I love your Amish bag too.

Michelle said...

Wow..what a great shop. I'll have to make sure I get there sometime! :)

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

That sounds like sooooo much fun!! AND I love the Amish shopping bag!

Beth said...

I might have gotten lost in all that fabric. Can't wait to see what you fit into the bottomless bag.

quiltmom anna said...

I can't even conceive of that many bolts Pat- 20,000 bolts WOW-
I think I would have had to try to find a way to look for only a couple of kinds of fabric- even then the choices must have been overwhelming.
I can hardly wait to see what is at the bottom of your bag..
Regards,
Anna

andsewon said...

Ok I think I can convince C to go now.. seeing the grocery and fabric store combo! Hahaha!

Val said...

I am amazed at all of this. I have been behind on your posts and I have enjoyed reading and seeing all of the pictures. It was almost as good as being there.

Barb said...

Oh, I think my little heart just skipped a beat seeing all those beautiful bolts of fabrics. It's one of the things I'm looking forward to in this upcoming move to a new state ~ checking out new fabric shops.