Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Some photos near Lancaster, PA.....

These are a few of the photos I took last week when we were on our quilting/fabric shopping trip in the Amish area of PA.

I love to watch the Amish youngsters walk to and from their one-room school house (and I get teased by my quilting pals about that), BUT...this year I did manage to get a couple of photos of them from a distance. (Click on them once or twice to see the photos in greater detail.)Yes...they are each carrying a 6-pack cooler.......guess it's the best thing for the wonderful, big lunches I'm sure are made for them each morning.An Amish man taking his produce to be sold or maybe to be used at one of the many restaurants in the area that serve delicious dishes! Can you see how large the cabbages are in the back of the cart?A woman getting ready to open her shop one morning.Looks funny to see this in a "No Parking" area....but that just means no cars right there....horses and buggies are permitted. This was by the back entrance to Zook's Fabric Store.Also outside there, this lady was unloading her little ones from the buggy. Notice the little guy off to the left. He was doing his own thing and not listening too closely to his Mama or his sister! I think Mama might have been wiser to get him out of the buggy last...instead of first.But.....it all had a happy ending as Mama got all three of them shepherded into one of the shops before any cars came near to the little guy.Oh...and I had to stop by an Amish produce stand and get a large cabbage for my hubby like I did last year. Here is my granddaughter holding it. It was larger than a basketball and cost only $1.25 for the whole head. The stand was run on an honor system where I just put the money into an old coffee can that was on the countertop of the stand. There is something so appealing about the simplicity of that!We did spend a good part of one day working on a sewing project, so I will show those photos in my next post. I hope you enjoyed these glimpses of Amish life.

21 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

I live near an Amish town as well. When I first moved here; I was so excited to go to the quilt shops...but then found out there was only one; and no fabric.

The Amish often bring hire drivers and come to our town by the van load. We have Wal Mart.

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow it looks so peaceful there!
Good deal on the cabbage!
Your DGD is adorable!

Gene Black said...

LOL.. I love the Amish children with the coolers. I just wish I had a hat like those boys are wearing.

I love the pictures. It reminds me of when I lived in Ohio and we would go to the Amish town to buy food. Yum! It certainly is a different way of life.

That cabbage looks almost as big as the little miss!

Unknown said...

very interesting, that little "run away" boy reminds me of my E....lol

Denise :) said...

What awesome pictures -- you did a great job capturing some everyday life in Lancaster. Thanks for sharing (and for the fun commentary, too)! :)

Kaye said...

Great job with the pictures and I Love the commentary too! Jessie is growing sooo fast. Love those dimples!

Bunny said...

Love your photos of the Amish they are just gorgeous. I just got back from Montreal and sitting in front of us was an Amish couple with the cutest little girl she had the most gorgeous smile and twinkle in her eye. The conductor asked if they had been visiting family and they said yes. Guess they were on their way back home to St Jacobs. Ontario.

Anonymous said...

$1.25 for that cabbage? Truly a huge bargain! Perfect opportunity to stuff that and dig on in... I love stuffed cabbage rolls.

And the cabbage model? Just precious and pretty as can be!

hetty said...

Great job on those photos! You have truly captured the tranquility and simplicity of the Amish way of life. I feel calm just looking at them. They sure grow big cabbages out there!

luv2quilt2 said...

Wonderful pictures. Isn't it nice to visit a place where the pace of life is so peaceful?

Maggey and Jim said...

Some nice pictures, thanks for sharing.. I love seeing the Amish and that cabbage would feed a family for a week?? lol
Maggey

Needled Mom said...

Now that is one BIG cabbage!!! Beautiful. I can't wait to see the project you worked on.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Love the photo of Jessi with that huge cabbage head! Also like that picture of the horses pulling the cabbage wagon and the woman opening up her shop for the day. :-)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Wonderful photos! Thank you for sharing. That is a humongous head of cabbage. The ones I have to choose from at the store are so tiny.

Crispy said...

Great photos Pat. Sure wish I lived closer to Amish Country.

Crispy

Julia said...

Amazing pics Pat...I am fascinated by how the Amish folk live...I would love to visit one day!

Laurie said...

Thanks for sharing the pics! Love seeing Amish photos. Its been a while since we've been to PA! I'm thinking a weekend trip should be coming up! LOL

Scrappy quilter said...

Wonderful pictures. So good to be back. Hugs

Val said...

I have always been intrigued with the Amish. I could not imagine going and seeing them. I love all the pictures. And that cabbage is amazing.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Next time, I need to go with you. I wouldn't tease you about watching the Amish - I'd join you! Do they all have the exact same cooler except for the color?

Myra said...

Great photos... We have an area that the Amish moved into about 4-6 years ago... I've been up that was to a quilt shop, and have seen them on the highways on the way up there...
What a humongous cabbage!!! 8-)