Sunday, June 6, 2010

A touch of summer........

I love some of the flowers I have right now. My one hydrangea bush has pretty pinkish flowers and one of them is now at the top of my blog page....did you notice it yet? If not, go back and look! Isn't it GORGEOUS?

I have another hydrangea bush...called Endless Summer as it blooms all summer long., which I LOVE. It isn't as big yet as my pink hydrangea, as it's only about 2 years old, but it got a lot of flowers this year and I'm happy since I worried it would be lost during the extreme winter we had. Here it is with some of the flowers blooming.
I'm not sure what these next flowers are....I planted a couple of bulbs of them a few years back and each year they multiply. Too bad they don't bloom all season long. (And too bad I didn't write down the name of these when I planted them, so I'd know what they are!!!)

I love my gardenia bush. The smell of the flowers is incredible....which you might already know if you've had the chance to smell them. I was really fearful this bush wouldn't survive the ice and snow we had in the winter, but it did and I am really enjoying it. Someone told me to float some of the flowers on top of water in a dish in the house....and I did that and it is really a treat! Again...another one I wish flowered for a longer period of time. There are about 150 flowers opened on it right now with at least that many more buds that will open within the next few days! Oh...how I wish you could smell these flowers...they are heavenly.This next one isn't such a great photo of the bush, but if you look closely you can see many of the yet-unopened flower buds.I did work on a reversible runner that matches two sets of kitchen valances I made recently, and I'll show a photo of that when the binding is completed (which I may do later today). Tomorrow I hope to get out to buy a prize to celebrate getting over 200 followers....and it will go to one of my lucky, regular followers!!!

35 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

I love your hydrangea; it's one of my favorite flowering bushes. I used to have some of the small flowers you showed, but I don't remember the name either.

Kathleen said...

Beautiful flower pics.... wish you could post the fragrances too!

Barb said...

Love all your flowers. Wish I could grow some but alas ~ I have a black thumb.
Your gardenias (my favorites) look different than the ones I'm used to seeing here in Fla. Sounds like they smell just as heavenly though.

Tudy said...

Beautiful flowers. Aren't flower just great.

Gene Black said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! I love seeing the world burst into bloom in the spring and early summer. The house I grew up in had a blue hydrangea at one corner. It was extremely hardy and bloomed all summer.

Needled Mom said...

I wish we had smell-a-vision on the computer. I love the smell of the gardenias. Your flowers are gorgeous.

Kathy said...

Great flowers! I too have a hydrangea. Unfortunately, it is planted at the base of the stairs, so I have to cut it back radically every year. And it still blocks the stairs. I love it anyway.

Nancy said...

dang it...sure wish i had better luck with flora...

beautiful flowers..

Crispy said...

Beautiful photos Pat!! Maybe all the flowers needed a really cold winter to show off their best in the summer.

Crispy

Kaye said...

The flowers are really beautiful. Now i have both the gardenia and htdranga and they are just starting to bloom, wonder why mine are late?

ooglebloops said...

Love snowball/hydrangea bushes. We had 4 or 5 lovely large ones at our last house - I have to get some for here!!! They make beautiful bouquets!!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

You flowers and then photos are gorgeous. Wish I had some in my yard. All we have are trees right now. Maybe next year there will be flowers. :-)

Tangos Treasures said...

Beautiful flowers!! Wish we had smell oh vision LOL you know what I mean!!

Anonymous said...

The second flowers look like spider wort. You will love that. When I had my house, I planted that in a shady spot and they just flourished.

I miss playing in the dirt...

Joyful Quilter said...

Your flowers are beautiful. It is so hot here that I have a hard time growing hydrangeas (they are one of my favorite plants / flowers), I don't have enough shade. I've found one spot that I hope will work, keep your fingers crossed.

Judy S. said...

What a pretty gardenia. I killed my share of them unfortunately before we left CA. Hydrangeas grow very well here but hard to keep them pink.

The Other Barb said...

beautiful flowers Pat. I could almost smell the Gardenia . Your yard must be so pretty right now.

Rhonda said...

Wow Pat...those flowers in bloom are beautiful!!!!!

Barb said...

What pretty flowers!!

Winona said...

Pat, you have gorgeous flowers. Your yard must be very lovely. Winona

Julia said...

I love your hydrangea; it's one of my favorite flowers...the second lot are Freshias...I have them growing here too, they come in red, yellow too..
Julia ♥

Rachel said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! I planted the barrels and flower bed a couple of weeks ago, but almost everything wilted and died in the snowstorm we had last weekend. I should know better than to plant before June. Sheesh!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thank you for the flower show Pat!! Your yard must be fabulous!

Myra said...

Great photos of your beauties there! I can almost smell them... 8-)

Lisa said...

gorgeous flowers!

hetty said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! I especially love the hydranga in your header. I think the mystery blue flowers are from the Allium family (onion family). Do the leaves smell like onions if you rub them?

Unknown said...

i can remember as a child, my mom having some of those first bushes you have pictured there, we called them snow ball bushes......

Unknown said...

one more thing, i'm very impressed at how your "follower" count continues to go up

Pat's Place said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous flowers. Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

Are the bulbs you planted...freesia? They look a little like them. My gardinias are not blooming yet...I bet yours smell wonderful! This is my first time to your blog, thanks for sharing!

Gari in AL said...

My hydrangea bushes look just like yours: I can almost not see leaves for the flowers. My gardenia is not is such good shape. It is scrawney and has had no flowers for 2 years. I will probably dig it up this fall and start something else.

Unknown said...

I noticed the hydrangea in your header right off. Gorgeous! The purple flowers do look like freesia. I've had them before and your picture made me miss them. I had no idea gardenias would grow as far north as you are. I'm going to check them out. Love the way they smell.

Roslyn said...

Love hydrangeas I have 4, have to keep them in pots to shelter from the extreme heat/sun but they revive every spring & bloom beautifully.
Also love gardenias & have two that bloom so fragrantly right now.

Unknown said...

I love flowers in the garden...so pretty and I am so grateful that winter is over!

Carol Anne Strange said...

Just popping into say hello, Pat, and couldn't resist looking at these gorgeous flowers. The colours are just enchanting. Hope you are well and in good spirits. xx