Saturday, May 19, 2012

WOW...2 posts in one morning here!

I have finally gotten around to reading blogs and see that the Bloggers' Quilt Festival is occurring now.  I didn't want to miss out, so here comes post # 2 for today!   Some of you have seen this quilt.  It is a simple design....just squares on point....but it has a lot of meaning for me.  I made it for my daughter this past Christmas. She had been going through some tough times after getting out of an abusive marriage. She and her daughter were living in one rented room in a friends' house and I wanted to give her a gift from the heart for Christmas so she could wrap herself in my love during the times she was feeling sad.  She has always loved salad and many times we'd take her out to eat and all she would want to order was salad. SO...I spent some time seriously collecting veggie prints and made her a quilt I called "I Just Want Salad".  Jackie, a quilting friend with a long-arm, did a wonderful job of custom-quilting it for me and I was very pleased with how it turned out.  You can see she was pleased with it, too, as she was reading its name on the label.  (The second photo is of the quilt before quilting and binding...so you can see the full design more clearly.  Now go click HERE to see the other quilts in the Festival.http://amyscreativeside.com/2012/05/18/bloggers-quilt-festival-spring-2012/

17 comments:

Karen said...

Good use of all the vegetable fabrics.

Denise :) said...

Sweet photo of your girl and her quilt -- and it's such a pretty, colorful and vibrant piece...I'm sure it makes her smile just to see it!! :)

John'aLee said...

It is beautiful Pat!

CitricSugar said...

Wonderful gift to make for your daughter!

It looks like a garden or a farmer's market stall. Lovely.

Mary said...

Way to give your DD want she wants. Nice to have friends who quilt and make our quilts get finished instead of adding to the UFO piles.

Marg said...

What a wonderful gift for your daughter, and love the story behind the fabrics you used.

AnnieO said...

Catchy title for a bright and fun quilt--her smile says it all :) Glad she's moving forward and making her life better. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

Mom said...

Are those veggies>>! love it!

Check out my blog if you can...

Margaret Gunn
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift! Hope things start looking up for her in life.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love your salad quilt and wish the best for your daughter. I have a huge collection of fruit and veggie fabrics and have several quilts from them including my own salad quilt. Keep an eye out for them soon on my blog.

hetty said...

It's beautiful!

Delisa said...

Hi Pat, thanks for showing us a photo of the salad quilt! That is one of the most imaginative quilts I have ever seen. What lovely work, and how lovely, it was the perfect gift and the perfect time! :) What a great photo of the three of you. I too feel a bit uncomfortable getting my pic. taken but just think how much it will mean to your little grandaughter! I treasure my grandma's photos and hold them close to my heart. I hope you have a wonderful evening ahead! With Love, Delisa:)

Habibti at Home said...

Wonderful story and wonderful quilt!! Really well done!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love kitchen themed quilts. Black is perfect here with the fabric.

Eileen said...

that's a fun, fantastic, vibrant quilt. so glad it's something that helped your daughter through this hard time! thanks for sharing and have a great day

Unknown said...

I think quilts mean the most when they are personal...you made the perfect quilt for her...Look at her smile! Love it.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

This is beautiful Pat, and what a lovely story behind it. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's situation, but I'm glad to hear things are better. What a lucky girl she is to have such caring and supportive Momma. :)