This quilt was done as a memorial to the tragic events of 9-11.
She also uses mostly hand-dyed fabrics that she buys....but she does also use scraps...like the pyramid border above that used scraps of many different reds. These next two were very striking to see in person.
You might notice that she does a lot of flying geese and I like how the colors flow along the edge of this next quilt.
This next photo shows Kathy and a few other gals working on their block designs. Gail would give us a sheet of paper with a box drawn on it and the box was drawn to look like something simple....a 9-patch or a 16-patch. (Some of the other ones were more advanced shapes and we didn't get to all of them.) We didn't have to make OUR design look like a 9-patch or a 16-patch...just had to make sure it stayed within the outer confines of the box on the page.
Here are some of the results......mine is the 3rd one down on the right side...with the two circular shapes on it. Mind you....these were all glued in place but her books, apparently, teach you how to take your design and do it with paper-piecing. I had fun doing this....but it's not my "cup of tea"....though it was nice to think outside the box for this one morning! She taught a few other classes at the show and I believe she taught people how to go from the design on paper to making it with paper-piecing during at least one of those other classes.
30 comments:
How fun!!!
It's always nice to try something new. You never know what you'll enjoy or learn.
I am thinking that the 9 or 16 patch grid would later be used to draft your paperpiecing pattern. Pretty neat. If I loved doing paper piecing, this class would be right up my alley.
I need to start doing some "artsy-fartsy" quilting!
LOVE IT!! It's good to step out of our box and work with "artsy-fartsy" things. I know I am to matchy-matchy, and beginning to hate it. Have you seen any of the Freddie Moran stuff? That is where I want to be. Looks like you had fun in the class....
Sometimes it's nice to try something new - even if it is just to find out it's not for you. I think a class like this would be right up my alley. I am trying to 'free' myself and I love paper piecing!
Sounds like a fun class. I'm also much more into traditional piecing and applique, but the 'artsy-fartsy' (can't believe someone else uses that expression, too!)can stretch your imagination and skills.
I am sure you and Kathy enjoyed the class. Her quilts are beautiful. What patience she has
I am sure you and Kathy enjoyed the class. Her quilts are beautiful. What patience she has
I really like those quilt ideas. If I ever get into quilting, it will be to make art quilts, not traditional ones. Probably won't ever happen, as I already have several other interests (adictions?) that keep me busy. For now, I just enjoy other people's quilts.
It seems it would be an interesting class to take though there is never any chance of me doing paper piecing LOL.
Crispy
I love the traditional quilts for obvious reasons... but the art quilts just sing! That looks like it was a great class!
that would be very interesting...love what you all did and love that circle quilt, wow
I applaud you for stepping outside your comfort zone. I, too, consider myself more traditional and don't usually go for the artsy-type stuff, but I'm sure you took a tip or two away with you (you might not even realize it yet).
I think it's great that we pick up a few things along the way as quilter's that we're not use to doing. Looks like you certainly had a lot of fun, Pat, and your block is nice. It'a just fun to learn. Happy Quilting! Love your blog.
WOW...what wonderful quilts!!!
it sounds like a fun time...
Very beautiful quilts she does.
I am sure you can take some of what you learned and use in in your style of sewing as well. Fun to step out of our comfort zone now and again.
the quilts are fabulous but I am not sure I would get on with the design method. I suspect it would 'freeze'me rather than free me!
Although not your cup of tea, it sounds like an interesting class Pat... I shall have to look for Gail's book! 8-)
There have been time when I've taken a class that ended up not being my cup of tea - but, I always learn something from it anyway...
Like the playing that all of you did!!!
Her quilts are beautiful!!!
I bet it was a blast to try something new! Green with envy here!
That must have been a very interesting class. The blocks that you all came up with are really neat and the instructor's quilts are gorgeous!! And now nice that you didn't come away with a UFO!! LOL!
Looks like you had fun. I tend to be more traditional too, but it is fun to try new things. (like I need something else to do LOL).
I like you circles.
I just LOVE the 9-11 quilt ... they are all gorgeous.
Happy blessed Easter!
Hugs, Marydon
All the quilts are just wonderful! The colours just pop!
Micki
I love Gail Garber's work and am anxious to hear if the class helps you in your color selections.
I want to take this class now, you made it very interesting. Love the colors.
Looks like so very much fun! Wow, those quilts look tough to do.
how fun Pat, sounds like you had an awesome time!!
Pat, thanks for leaving your blog site for us to read, it's a great blog. Check our facebook page on Friday to find out the winner of the Blog-of-the-Week!
We're so glad you had a good time in Lancaster, we hope you see you at an AQS show soon. Keep up the great work!
www.americanquilter.com
Post a Comment